Hey T-Shirt fanatics, welcome to my 2010 Holiday Gift Guide series! I feature some of my favorite T-shirt related items and even some things beyond T-shirts that I simply just love and would like to recommend to all of you. If there’s something that you think would fit in this list then please feel free to link to it in the comments! Enjoy and please feel free to share on Twitter using the Hashtag #GiftGuide.
You could probably best categorize me into two specific sub-categories of geek: 1. science geek, and 2. gadget geek. This gift guide is dedicated to the gadget geek in me and the gadget geek and general nerd on your Christmas shopping list.
1. If the gadget geek in question owns an iPod, iPhone, MacBook Pro, and/or Apple TV then it is highly likely that he/she will LOVE the Steve-In-Sane T-Shirt from Might Tees. Can someone get ME this tee?! Steve-In-Sane by Might Tees, Price: $23.99.
2. The ultimate threat to the dominance of Apple’s iOS is the Android platform. I hate to admit it, but there are a lot of people that love Android. To each their own! [By the way, did you know that this T-Shirt was inspired by a post of mine, yup!] Unstoppable Andy, Price: $19.00.
3. Do you know exaclty what kind of nerd you’re buying for? Not sure? Well, be sure nd get this T-Shirt for the nerd in your life. It’s highly likely that his/her geekdom is featured on this Threadless tee by Riccardo Bucchioni. Know Your Nerds by Threadless, Price: $10.
4. Yep, that’s right. This T-Shirt has a built in inconspicuous spy camera built right into the design of the tee. And now your favorite gadget geek can get his voyeuristic spy side on. Electronic Spy Camera T-Shirt by ThinkGeek, Price: $39.99.
5. There is absolutely nothing that nerds love more than ROBOTS. weRobot from the Chop Shop features 51 of the most iconic robots in pop culture. And even better, it glows in the dark! weRobot by The Chop Shop, Price: $20.00.
6. Gadgets are great, but sometimes, one less unnecessary gadget is even better. That’s why I LOVE Dropbox. With Dropbox, I no longer need or even use flash drives / thumb drives. I keep all of my important files and stuff that I am currently working on synced between multiple computers and it just works perfectly. Dropbox is free up to 2GB, but of course, the tech nerd needs more than that. Dropbox doesn’t offer a gift option but you could always offer to pay for a year worth of Premium Ugrades for a favorite friend. ($99 for a year upgrade of 50 GB).
BONUS: If you need more suggestions then I suggest that you hit up the following lists: 101 T-Shirts for Apple Fanboys and the Mac Faithful and 101 T-Shirts For Social Media Gurus, Facebook Fans and Twitter Addicts.
You might also want to consider:
When it comes to Gadgets, my iPad and my iPhone 4 are my go to tech toys. However, if I had to suggest something for the gadget geek, it would be the Terminal Backpack by DAKINE. I love this backpack because it’s so spacious and fits my 15 inch MacBook Pro perfectly. You’ll be able to fit every single one of you gadgets in hear and then some. Right now, I have some spare ethernet cords, a couple of various adaptor cords for the MacBook, a VGA cable for the iPad, an HDMI cable just in case. My laser pointer and presentation clicker for when I give lectures. And of course, I’ve got my Flip Mino and digital camera in there for those special moments. And then you’ve got lots of room in there for the vintage stuff like pens and paper (not like you’ll need it when you carry around an iPad).
Over a year ago I ditched messenger bags (because of shoulder and back issues) and have been using the Terminal Bag by DAKINE since. It’s a solid bag and a great investment, and easy on the back. Dakine Terminal Pack, Black, Price: $89.95.
Posted on 5 December '10 by Coty, under T-Shirts. 1 Comment.
A few weeks ago I blurted out on Twitter that I was super excited about an upcoming T-Shirt that was inspired by my words and a particular blog post of mine. Well, after much self-inflicted anticipation, the shirt has finally been released!Â The shirt is called Unstoppable Andy, and it was designed by George Soto and comes to us from the guys that brought us the popular exploded tees and more recently, the string of Android inspired shirts.
So how did my words turn into a T-Shirt design?
Prior to Unstoppable Andy, the exploded design team, spearheaded by Dion Brigs, released a tee entitled Andy vs. Apple. It was meant to be a pro Android design. But as would any Mac faithful, I turned things around and poked fun at clunky, slow and chubby Andy the Android. I even compared him to the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. Here’s an excerpt:
“Some might see this shirt as a pro Android tee. You might see Andy breaking loose and attacking the Apple way. Not me. No way! To me, Andy, that green Andoid character is much like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man character from Ghostbusters. Big, fat, and slow. Sound familiar? If so, because those are all characters that both the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and the Android OS and its various handsets have in common. Think Droid X. Big and slow. Yuck.
And at the end of the day, what happened to the Stay Puft Mashmallow Man? He died a horrible death. Apple might not have proton packs to destroy big and fat Andy, but what they do have is even better. Itâ€™s called Rabid Apple Fans. Myself included.
To me, I see here Apple fighting quite valiantly. They are the good guys. They are fighting the big battle against the fat and ugly Marshmallow known as Andy. Fight that fight, Apple. Keep on fighting.”
Well, the exploded guys read my words and a light bulb turned on. The above words would make for an insanely great and epic Steve Jobs vs. Android T-Shirt design! And so they ran with it.Â They kept me in the loop with the progress of the design and even sent me a few sketches of the unfinished design as it progressed. Needless to say, I was super stoked and excited!
Am I happy with the final product? Heck yeah. And who cares if this one was made with the Android crowd in mind. Steve Jobs is badass here. And remember what happened to the Stay Puft Marshmellow man? He went kaput!
Unstoppable Andy is available now in T-Shirt and poster form for $19.
And here is the original sketch that got me super excited!
Posted on 26 August '10 by Coty, under T-Shirts. No Comments.
A few months ago I featured Exploded Andy, a shirt from the guys that brought us some of my favorite Exploded tees, including Exploded 128, Exploded Phone and iSteamMac. After a string of Apple centric T-Shirts we now get two Android happy shirts in a row! What is an Apple fanboy like me to do about this?!
Of course, spin it and interpret it as only an Apple mega fan could! And it is for that reason that I actually really enjoy this shirt, which was designed by illustrator Chris Bishop.
Some might see this shirt as a pro Android tee. You might see Andy breaking loose and attacking the Apple way. Not me. No way! To me, Andy, that green Andoid character is much like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man character from Ghostbusters. Big, fat, and slow. Sound familiar? If so, because those are all characters that both the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and the Android OS and its various handsets have in common. Think Droid X. Big and slow. Yuck.
And at the end of the day, what happened to the Stay Puft Mashmallow Man? He died a horrible death. Apple might not have proton packs to destroy big and fat Andy, but what they do have is even better. It’s called Rabid Apple Fans. Myself included.
To me, I see here Apple fighting quite valiantly. They are the good guys. They are fighting the big battle against the fat and ugly Marshmallow known as Andy. Â Fight that fight, Apple. Keep on fighting.
Andy Vs. Apple is available now in T-Shirt and poster form. Both the T-Shirt and posters are priced at $19 a piece.
Posted on 26 July '10 by Coty, under T-Shirts. No Comments.
Regular readers of this blog know that I am a diehard Apple fan. Having said that, it hurts me just a little bit to post this Exploded Andy T-Shirt by the people who have brought us the other exploded classics. The latest exploded tee features that famous little green robot that populates … Android based phones. I know that there are a few of you Android users that read this blog and so this, my friends, is dedicated to you!
Exploded Andy was designed by Garry Booth and is available now at ExplodedAndy.com for $19. And if you’re so inclined, you can also pick up this design in poster form.
PS: I’m not exactly sure of the origin of the “Andy” name for the little green Android robot. I tried googling information on the name of the Android robot and nothing regarding Andy came up. Anyone have any idea about this Andy name? If I had to guess, it is in reference to Android co-founder, Andy Rubin. Thoughts?
Posted on 29 May '10 by Coty, under T-Shirts. 1 Comment.
Day 2 of SXSW 2010 has come and gone and I’ve got a collection of 14 tees that I spotted (despite not being there) worn by 14 different geeks! Note, the T-Rex Drums tee worn by Gary Vaynerchuk, Cutters tee and the Vimeo T-Shirt are available for sale.
*All photos belong to their respective owners.
Day 2 SXSW T-Shirt Sightings:
1. I Shoot Food, photo by hawaii. Awesome Foodspotting tee parodying the ubiquitous I Heart NY design. You had to participate in the SXSW Street Food Scavenger Hunt in order to score this awesome shirt.Â Visit Foodspotting and Hawaii Weblog.
2. Cutters, photo by davidjschloss. The 2010 Bike Hugger Mobile Social at SXSW brought hundreds and hundreds of riders together for a social ride, BBQ and schwag fest. This attendee is sporting the Cutters tee from the classic cycling movie, Breaking Away, and available from our good friends at Found Item Clothing. Buy Cutters from Found Item Clothing. Visit Attention Deficit David.
3. Indie GoGo, photo by Betsy Weber. Indie GoGo is an awesome community of various indie artist to share their media, whether it be film, music or writing. Discover new indie stuff at Indie GoGo.Â Visit Indie GoGo and Visual Lounge.
4. Dot Jenna, photo by NoNo Joel. dotJenna is a web personality and the President & CEO of The Marketing Shop.com, a new media company in Frisco, Texas.Â Visit Dot Jenna.
5. Android Walks Dog, photo by Emily C. Charlie O’Donnell, an EIR at First Round Capital,Â wearing a funky Android tee. Visit This Is Going To Be Big, Mouth of the Border and First Round Capitol.
6. Gary Vaynerchuk, photo by themarlooz. Wine guy and social media guru Gary Vee shows off a T-Rex tee that I’ve shown off on this blog before!Â Buy T-Rex Drums from Amorphia Apparel. Visit Gary Vaynerchuk’s site and Marlooz.
7. Andrew Mager X Obama, photo by magerleagues. Andrew Mager work on design engineering Ning and also blogs about the social web on ZDNet’s The Web Life. Visit Andrew Mager’s Site, The Web Life and Ning.
Posted on 13 March '10 by Coty, under T-Shirts. 11 Comments.