Hey T-Shirt fanatics, welcome to my 2010 Holiday Gift Guide series! I feature some of my favorite T-shirt related items and even some things beyond T-shirts that I simply just love and would like to recommend to all of you. If there’s something that you think would fit in this list then please feel free to link to it in the comments! Enjoy and please feel free to share on Twitter using the Hashtag #GiftGuide.
You could probably best categorize me into two specific sub-categories of geek: 1. science geek, and 2. gadget geek. This gift guide is dedicated to the gadget geek in me and the gadget geek and general nerd on your Christmas shopping list.
1. If the gadget geek in question owns an iPod, iPhone, MacBook Pro, and/or Apple TV then it is highly likely that he/she will LOVE the Steve-In-Sane T-Shirt from Might Tees. Can someone get ME this tee?! Steve-In-Sane by Might Tees, Price: $23.99.
2. The ultimate threat to the dominance of Apple’s iOS is the Android platform. I hate to admit it, but there are a lot of people that love Android. To each their own! [By the way, did you know that this T-Shirt was inspired by a post of mine, yup!] Unstoppable Andy, Price: $19.00.
3. Do you know exaclty what kind of nerd you’re buying for? Not sure? Well, be sure nd get this T-Shirt for the nerd in your life. It’s highly likely that his/her geekdom is featured on this Threadless tee by Riccardo Bucchioni. Know Your Nerds by Threadless, Price: $10.
4. Yep, that’s right. This T-Shirt has a built in inconspicuous spy camera built right into the design of the tee. And now your favorite gadget geek can get his voyeuristic spy side on. Electronic Spy Camera T-Shirt by ThinkGeek, Price: $39.99.
5. There is absolutely nothing that nerds love more than ROBOTS. weRobot from the Chop Shop features 51 of the most iconic robots in pop culture. And even better, it glows in the dark! weRobot by The Chop Shop, Price: $20.00.
6. Gadgets are great, but sometimes, one less unnecessary gadget is even better. That’s why I LOVE Dropbox. With Dropbox, I no longer need or even use flash drives / thumb drives. I keep all of my important files and stuff that I am currently working on synced between multiple computers and it just works perfectly. Dropbox is free up to 2GB, but of course, the tech nerd needs more than that. Dropbox doesn’t offer a gift option but you could always offer to pay for a year worth of Premium Ugrades for a favorite friend. ($99 for a year upgrade of 50 GB).
When it comes to Gadgets, my iPad and my iPhone 4 are my go to tech toys. However, if I had to suggest something for the gadget geek, it would be the Terminal Backpack by DAKINE. I love this backpack because it’s so spacious and fits my 15 inch MacBook Pro perfectly. You’ll be able to fit every single one of you gadgets in hear and then some. Right now, I have some spare ethernet cords, a couple of various adaptor cords for the MacBook, a VGA cable for the iPad, an HDMI cable just in case. My laser pointer and presentation clicker for when I give lectures. And of course, I’ve got my Flip Mino and digital camera in there for those special moments. And then you’ve got lots of room in there for the vintage stuff like pens and paper (not like you’ll need it when you carry around an iPad).
Over a year ago I ditched messenger bags (because of shoulder and back issues) and have been using the Terminal Bag by DAKINE since. It’s a solid bag and a great investment, and easy on the back. Dakine Terminal Pack, Black, Price: $89.95.
It’s sad that although we live in the year 2010, there still are people who are intolerant of people who are different. African Americans fought for freedom, females fought for the right to vote and the gay community are still fighting for equal rights. A few months ago, Hawaii had the chance to pass a bill that would have recognized civil unions, which would in effect give gay couples the same rights that are afforded to married couples.
Hawaii’s Governor, Linda Lingle, vetoed the bill.
Employees at Google recently got together and put together a little video to lend their hand in support of the gay community, especially the younger demographic. We all know that growing up and especially during the high school years can be very challenging. Kids are mean. However, the idea that “it gets better” is one that is conveyed in the video.
It’s 2010, people. Gay people should not have to wait for a bill to be passed to have the same rights that are given to heterosexual married couples. It’s 2010, we shouldn’t have to make messages telling people that things will get better -- it should be better. Stop the hate. Be more tolerant. Most importantly, be respectful of other people.
Having said that, there were a couple of pretty cool T-Shirts in the video! Check it out.
“We’ve got to dispel this myth that bullying is just a normal rite of passage, that it’s just some inevitable part of growing up … I don’t know what it’s like to grow up being picked on because you’re gay, but I do know what it’s like to grow up feeling that sometimes you don’t belong. It’s tough.” -President Obama
A few weeks ago I blurted out on Twitter that I was super excited about an upcoming T-Shirt that was inspired by my words and a particular blog post of mine. Well, after much self-inflicted anticipation, the shirt has finally been released!Â The shirt is called Unstoppable Andy, and it was designed by George Soto and comes to us from the guys that brought us the popular exploded tees and more recently, the string of Android inspired shirts.
So how did my words turn into a T-Shirt design?
Prior to Unstoppable Andy, the exploded design team, spearheaded by Dion Brigs, released a tee entitled Andy vs. Apple. It was meant to be a pro Android design. But as would any Mac faithful, I turned things around and poked fun at clunky, slow and chubby Andy the Android. I even compared him to the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. Here’s an excerpt:
“Some might see this shirt as a pro Android tee. You might see Andy breaking loose and attacking the Apple way. Not me. No way! To me, Andy, that green Andoid character is much like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man character from Ghostbusters. Big, fat, and slow. Sound familiar? If so, because those are all characters that both the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and the Android OS and its various handsets have in common. Think Droid X. Big and slow. Yuck.
And at the end of the day, what happened to the Stay Puft Mashmallow Man? He died a horrible death. Apple might not have proton packs to destroy big and fat Andy, but what they do have is even better. Itâ€™s called Rabid Apple Fans. Myself included.
To me, I see here Apple fighting quite valiantly. They are the good guys. They are fighting the big battle against the fat and ugly Marshmallow known as Andy. Fight that fight, Apple. Keep on fighting.”
Well, the exploded guys read my words and a light bulb turned on. The above words would make for an insanely great and epic Steve Jobs vs. Android T-Shirt design! And so they ran with it.Â They kept me in the loop with the progress of the design and even sent me a few sketches of the unfinished design as it progressed. Needless to say, I was super stoked and excited!
Am I happy with the final product? Heck yeah. And who cares if this one was made with the Android crowd in mind. Steve Jobs is badass here. And remember what happened to the Stay Puft Marshmellow man? He went kaput!
A few months ago I featured Exploded Andy, a shirt from the guys that brought us some of my favorite Exploded tees, including Exploded 128, Exploded Phone and iSteamMac. After a string of Apple centric T-Shirts we now get two Android happy shirts in a row! What is an Apple fanboy like me to do about this?!
Of course, spin it and interpret it as only an Apple mega fan could! And it is for that reason that I actually really enjoy this shirt, which was designed by illustrator Chris Bishop.
Some might see this shirt as a pro Android tee. You might see Andy breaking loose and attacking the Apple way. Not me. No way! To me, Andy, that green Andoid character is much like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man character from Ghostbusters. Big, fat, and slow. Sound familiar? If so, because those are all characters that both the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and the Android OS and its various handsets have in common. Think Droid X. Big and slow. Yuck.
And at the end of the day, what happened to the Stay Puft Mashmallow Man? He died a horrible death. Apple might not have proton packs to destroy big and fat Andy, but what they do have is even better. It’s called Rabid Apple Fans. Myself included.
To me, I see here Apple fighting quite valiantly. They are the good guys. They are fighting the big battle against the fat and ugly Marshmallow known as Andy. Â Fight that fight, Apple. Keep on fighting.
Andy Vs. Apple is available now in T-Shirt and poster form. Both the T-Shirt and posters are priced at $19 a piece.
Regular readers of this blog know that I am a diehard Apple fan. Having said that, it hurts me just a little bit to post this Exploded Andy T-Shirt by the people who have brought us the other exploded classics. The latest exploded tee features that famous little green robot that populates … Android based phones. I know that there are a few of you Android users that read this blog and so this, my friends, is dedicated to you!
PS: I’m not exactly sure of the origin of the “Andy” name for the little green Android robot. I tried googling information on the name of the Android robot and nothing regarding Andy came up. Anyone have any idea about this Andy name? If I had to guess, it is in reference to Android co-founder, Andy Rubin. Thoughts?
Day 2 of SXSW 2010 has come and gone and I’ve got a collection of 14 tees that I spotted (despite not being there) worn by 14 different geeks! Note, the T-Rex Drums tee worn by Gary Vaynerchuk, Cutters tee and the Vimeo T-Shirt are available for sale.
2. Cutters, photo by davidjschloss. The 2010 Bike Hugger Mobile Social at SXSW brought hundreds and hundreds of riders together for a social ride, BBQ and schwag fest. This attendee is sporting the Cutters tee from the classic cycling movie, Breaking Away, and available from our good friends at Found Item Clothing. Buy Cutters from Found Item Clothing. Visit Attention Deficit David.
3. Indie GoGo, photo by Betsy Weber. Indie GoGo is an awesome community of various indie artist to share their media, whether it be film, music or writing. Discover new indie stuff at Indie GoGo.Â Visit Indie GoGo and Visual Lounge.
4. Dot Jenna, photo by NoNo Joel. dotJenna is a web personality and the President & CEO of The Marketing Shop.com, a new media company in Frisco, Texas.Â Visit Dot Jenna.
With the release of Google Buzz, our favorite 4-colored search engine has spoken and they have declared that they want it all. Google has declared that they want to have world domination. Google Buzz looks to destroy both Twitter and Facebook all at once swoop. And with Buzz being built into Gmail and it’s user base of nearly a gazillion people – it has a strong chance of doing just that.
If you feel like showing some Google support and love then check out I’m Feeling Like World Domination in the FAIL Shirt Shop. It comes printed on a white American Apparel tee and is available now for $23.99.
I spotted these Google tees a while ago on the Every Loves Free Stuff blog, but it’s been sitting in my drafts folder and I just never got around to typing a blurb for it! Anyhow, love this mathematical infused Google company shirt that was distributed to employees to celebrate the workforce. Google, do you need a hardworking blogger? I’d love to be a part of your team. They also serve as a subtle and friendly reminder that functioning as a team player is a good thing when working at Google!
I’m no doubt a fan of Google Maps and so when I saw this tee over at Shirtcity I knew had I had to share it with the masses. If you’ve purchased this shirt you should definitely try and get yourself picked up by one of the Google satellites with this shirt on. How amazing would that be! This shirt is available now, and customizable, at Shirtcity for $22.95.Â
Technology is a major part of my life and has integrated itself into nearly every aspect of my life imaginable. It has even begun to seep into the clothes that I wear! Back in the day, I remember sporting my favorite Napster tee, or that hard to find Apple tee (usually gotten from an OS release). Now, many tech companies provide tees for purchase making it easy for teach fanatics like myself to show on their chest their weapons of choice.Â
Here are 7 different technology based tees that reflect innovations that I enjoy to use (or visit and read in the case of Laughing Squid). I’ll focus on “official” tees for this post and do a future post on some 3rd party tees (if you know of some cool ones let me know).Â
Do you have a favorite technology tee that you like to use and show off? Post a link to the shirt so that others with similar technologoy tastes can buy and enjoy!
1.Â WordPress. Does WordPress run your blog (I do for this blog)? Then checkout this site for a selection of official WordPress t-shirts and other merchandise. You can pick up either a red or olive green WordPress tee forÂ Â£9.50 GBP. The tees are printed on American Apparel.Â
2. Google/Blogger. Is Google the first thing you see when you open your browser? Are you part of the Blogger faithful? If so, then you might enjoy some official Google gear. In fact, there is a wide selection of Google merchandise available in their store, from organic tees to recycle track jackets. They’ve even got tees printed on 70% bamboo and 30% cotton. They claim the bamboo component makes it antimicrobial and feel like a mix between cashmere and silk! The Wearables section in the Google store offers 36 different products! The tees are priced between $13.50 – $20.00.Â
3. Laughing Squid. This is one of my favorite blogs to visit in InternetLAND and it just so happens that the Laughing Squid’s Scott Beale sells an official t-shirt printed on American Apparel and available for 20 buckaroos!Â